first documented quarrying at Llanddulas was at Creigiau'r Ogo in 1696, the stone
transported by horse and cart to the beach via the road which now leads to the
The barges and boats would be beached at low tide, loaded by hand
and then refloated on the high tide.
The owners of Gwrych had the quarrying
stopped at this location and moved to the other side of the river.
1812 the Bishop of Bangor granted a lease to a John Jones, he built a wooden jetty
in 1822 and purchased land to build a railway from the rocks to the pier, in 1829
he established the Llanddulas Lime & Coal Company.
The residents of the
village had been in the habit of getting material without being subjected to any
charge, and in 1829 it took a visit of the local sheriff and a company of the
87th Fusiliers to bring an end to this practice.
1849 John Jones was declared bankrupt, the leases were assigned to William Pennington
& company of Liverpool.
The company owed much of its development to Peter
Jones who became quarry manager in 1867.
March of 1839 the owners of the estate on which Pentregwyddel farm stood granted
a five year lease to Abel Foulkes, James Trevelyan Raynes, William Lupton and
Richard Kneeshaw all of Liverpool.
In 1842 Raynes & Lupton built a jetty
opposite their quarry land, the quarry also had a siding to the main railway line.
1873 James Trevelyan Raynes left to open his own quarry, and this company then
became known as Kneeshaw Lupton & company.
<< 1 - 2 - 3
- 4 - 5 - 6
- 7 - 8 - 9